Xbox Canada and EA Team up to Sell Xbox One
I received an interesting email from Microsoft Canada, and it came right out of left field. The gist of the email: EA and Microsoft are teaming up to sell Xbox One consoles. You refer a friend who buys an Xbox One, you both receive a one year subscription to EA Access. Yup, you heard correct. So, what catches are there?
A Microsoft Canada representative said, “We’ve recently launched a cool new promotion here in Canada and I thought you might be interested in learning more! Now, when Xbox owners recruit a friend to purchase an Xbox One, both parties receive a free 12-month membership to EA Access. Plus, it’s super easy to recruit friends, using our postcard generator.”
You can use the postcard generator here. As of right now, I cannot seem to get a postcard to generate as the page just refreshes every time I hit submit. The fine print does specify that the console must be purchased from the Microsoft Store. As of today, I have only confirmed this promotion for Canadians. Below you can see the fine print. Will you try to use this promotion?
How does the program work For Xbox One Owners?
- You and any Friends you refer must be legal residents of Canada who have reached the age of majority in your jurisdiction of residence, or must be above the age of 13, and have the permission of your parent/legal guardian to participate in the Xbox Wish You Were Here program (“Program”).
- Register for the Program using your Xbox gamertag and your email address (be sure you use the same email address that’s associated with your Xbox Live account). You must have a Microsoft (Xbox Live) account to participate. If you do not have a Microsoft (Xbox Live) account you may create one here.
- Create your postcard by selecting one of the featured games, choosing an image and a message, and then inserting your and your Friend’s names (or salutation without a specific Friend’s name) (“Postcard”).
- Share your Postcard by posting it to your Facebook wall, Twitter feed, or a Friend’s Facebook wall. We’ll also give you a URL that you can share in other ways, like posting on your blog, for example. Please see below for important guidelines on sharing your Postcard.
How long is the Program?
The Program begins on June 8, 2015 at 12:00 p.m. Eastern Time (“ET”) and ends on July 8, 2015, 2015 at 11:59:59p.m. ET (“Program Period”). To be eligible to receive a Reward, you and your Friend must complete all steps outlined in these Terms during the Program Period.
What do I get?
If one of your Friends clicks on the Postcard and enters their email address, they will see a link to the Microsoft Online Store displayed on the confirmation page. If they click the link, and purchase an Xbox One console from the Microsoft Online Store within the Program Period , both you (the “Advocate”) and your Friend will get a 25-digit redemption code (“Code”) for a 12-month subscription to EA Access, (the “Reward”) (a value of $29.99 CAD to each of the Advocate and their Friend). Reward Codes will be delivered to you and your Friend from the Microsoft Online Store via the email addresses you provided when signing up for the Program, approximately 4 business days after your Friend purchases their console. The 25-digit redemption Code will expire one year after it is delivered to you. Your one year subscription will start immediately after you redeem the Reward, by entering the 25-digit redemption Code either through xbox.ca or the Xbox Live Dashboard, however, the page will expire after viewing once.
Each Friend and Advocate are only eligible to receive one (1) Reward, regardless of the number of Friends who purchase and activate an Xbox One console after clicking an Advocate’s Postcard, regardless of how many Postcards an Advocate posts and regardless of whether the Friend later acts as an Advocate.
How can I share my Postcard?
Share your Postcard to Facebook or Twitter following the simple steps on the Program website. You can either post it to your wall/feed and tag the Friend you named in the Postcard, or post it directly to that Friend’s wall. We will also provide you with a unique URL (your link) so that you can share your Postcard by other means, like posting on your blog, for example. Anyone who clicks on your Postcard or your link and registers for the Program will then be linked to your registration as a Friend. You may only share one (1) Postcard to each individual Friend.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Microsoft Canada does not, in any way, encourage spamming of contacts by any means whatsoever (including, but not limited to email, text, Facebook or Twitter Messages or other electronic messages). If you do want to share in one of these ways, you must contact your Friend prior to sending them an electronic message to confirm that they want to receive such a message. For additional clarity, you may only contact friends or family if they are someone with whom you have had direct, voluntary, two-way communications and with whom you share interests, experiences, opinions and information on a regular basis (“Friend”).
Any registrant who is deemed by Microsoft Canada in our sole and absolute discretion to have spammed contacts via email, Facebook or any other electronic means may be disqualified from the Program without notification.
Who should I share a Postcard with?
It is highly recommended that you share your Postcard on your own wall or feed. That way, more of your Friends are likely to see it and click through to the Registration page where they can sign up for the Program. If you have a specific Friend or Friends with whom you want to share your Postcard, you must review the Important Note above and follow its instructions, as Microsoft Canada does not condone delivery of electronic messages without the prior express consent of the recipient. Additionally, you may only share your Postcard with individuals with whom you have a prior personal relationship, regardless of whether they are friends or family members. Please see above for further guidelines around sharing your Postcard.
What happens if I already have EA Access?
Don’t worry! If you are already an EA Access subscriber, you can use your 25-digit EA Access code to extend your subscription by 12 months, at no cost. That’s another 12 months of free games, early access to hot new titles and discounts on the best EA digital purchases!
If more than one of my friends buys a console through my link, can I get multiple EA Access codes?
Unfortunately, no. You can only receive one EA Access subscription code/Reward. We still encourage you to share with as many Friends as you want, since it will increase the chances that one of them will buy a console and earn you your Reward. Plus, eligible Friends will still get their Reward regardless of the fact that you have already received your one Reward so they can join you on Xbox One—and gaming is better with more friends!
How does the program work For Friends of Xbox One Owners?
- You and the Advocate who referred you must be legal residents of Canada who have reached the age of majority in your jurisdiction of residence, or must be above the age of 13, and have the permission of your parent/legal guardian to participate in the Program.
- After clicking on the Postcard provided to you by your Friend/Advocate, register for the Program using your email address.
- After you have registered, a unique link will be displayed on the Program website. Click the link, which will take you to the Microsoft Online Store. Purchase an eligible Xbox One console from the Microsoft Online Store, following the on-screen instructions. Please note that purchases must be made online and only one (1) purchase per customer is eligible for a Reward.
- After you complete your purchase, you will be sent a unique confirmation code via email. Click on the link provided in the email and enter your confirmation code on the website.
- Once you have entered your confirmation code, your 25-digit redemption Code for a 12-month subscription to EA Access will be displayed on screen, along with instructions on how to redeem it. Should you want to redeem it later, store the code locally as the page displaying it will expire after viewing once.
- Should you wish to become an Advocate, simply click here and register following the instructions above (How Does the Program Work For Xbox One Owners?), and creating your own Postcard. Note: If one of your Friends purchases an Xbox One console, you will not receive a second 12-month subscription to EA Access, but your Friend will get one!
General Terms and Release
Microsoft Canada Inc., (“Microsoft”) and each of its parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, distributors, suppliers, advertising/promotion agencies, representatives, agents, successors, assigns, employees, officers and directors (collectively the “Releasees”) are not responsible for redemption requests which are late, not received, or lost, no matter who is at fault, or for any accident, negligence, printing, administrative or other errors that may arise or occur in connection with this Program. The decisions of Microsoft with respect to all aspects of this Program are final and binding on all participants without right of appeal.
By participating in this Program, you (and your parent/legal guardian if you are under the age of majority where you live) agree to release and hold harmless the Releasees from any and all liability for loss, harm, damage, injury, cost or expense whatsoever which may occur in connection with the Program including, without limitation, your participation therein, and your acceptance and use/misuse of a Reward or any portion thereof.
Microsoft reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion, to withdraw or amend this Program in any way, or to amend these Terms without prior notice or obligation, in the event of: (i) any error, technical problem, fraud, or any other cause beyond the reasonable control of Microsoft that interferes with the proper conduct of this Program as contemplated by these Terms; and/or (ii) any accident, printing, administrative or other error or any kind.
All participants hereby agree to the collection and usage of their personal information for the purpose of administering the Program, in accordance with the Microsoft Privacy Statement.