LEGO 60194 – Arctic Scout Truck Review
Thanks to our good friends at The LEGO Group, we had the opportunity to build and review LEGO set #60194, the Arctic Scout Truck. At roughly 59.99 USD, this set doesn’t meet our 10 cents / piece threshold that deems a LEGO set a good value, but offers up enough unique pieces that make it a worthwhile purchase anyway. Let’s dive in and see how this set goes together!
Once again, I leaned on the services of my eight year old son to get this LEGO set put together, and the 322 pieces took him roughly one hour to complete. His impressions of the level of difficulty was pretty low, attributing most of his time to looking at the great detail on the pieces, prior to putting them together.
The build consists of two main environmental pieces and two vehicles, the large Scout Truck and the smaller bike/snowmobile machine. Putting together the environmental pieces was pretty easy, as there weren’t many pieces to fiddle with and the directions were really straight forward. There were no traps to assemble or secret passages to create, so everything was straight forward.
The Scout Truck took the bulk of the time as it involved numerous Technic pieces that are not as common on LEGO City sets. Both the front end of the truck that used the belts, and the back end wheels, were held together and mounted to the frame of the truck using Technic. Again, with little experience with that LEGO brand, my son still had very little issues matching the correct parts, and putting them properly together. After the wheel and axle assembly, the rest was a cinch!
The Scout Truck doesn’t mimic regular LEGO vehicles, as it has a very unique shape and design. That made putting this part of the set together a bit more exciting, as the varied pieces set this LEGO City set apart from so many others. After a while, putting LEGO vehicles together can become a boring, repetitive task!
As we mentioned earlier, the set doesn’t meet our 10 cents / piece threshold that would deem this a great purchase. That being said, you do get a number of unique pieces that you won’t find many other places, and if you are after those pieces for a custom build down the road, there is great value in this set.
The most notable piece in this set is definitely the Polar Bear, and to a slightly lesser degree, the husky dog. LEGO animals always come at a premium, so whenever you can find them in a sub $60 set, it is usually a good idea to snap them up and add them to your collection. I personally am looking forward to including this majestic beast in my LEGO Zoo that I’m currently putting together.
On top of the Polar Bear, the threads for the front end of the Scout Truck are also a very valuable and sought after piece. While a bit more available than the Polar Bear, it’s again not likely to see these in smaller LEGO sets. Couple that with the bike/snowmobile vehicle and you’ve got a winning set here for sure. Short on pieces, yes, but full of great LEGO additions to your collection.
LEGO City sets are generally always really playable, and that goes for this Arctic Scout Truck as well. Both my kids – eight and four – put numerous hours into playing with this set. With a number of great minifigures, two vehicles, and plenty of environmental terrain to play with, there is something for everyone.
This is a great LEGO set, and definitely worth the $60 price of admission. If you are looking for an ideal set for that friend or family member, look no further than here. With two vehicles, a Polar Bear, and plenty of minifigures for hours of play, there is great value in thsi set!
From the LEGO Website
Explore the harsh terrain with the LEGO® City 60194 Arctic Scout Truck, with front tracks and 4 all-terrain wheels, antenna, lights, onboard analysis station, space for other equipment, and a loading bay for the snow bike with moving track. This fun set also includes an ice wall/arch with translucent blocks and sonar beacons, coring tool, plus an ice cave with translucent blocks and room for the polar bear figure. This LEGO City Arctic Expedition set also includes 3 LEGO explorer minifigures and a dog figure.
- Includes 3 LEGO® minifigures: 2 drivers and a biologist, plus LEGO polar bear and husky dog figures.
- Arctic Scout Truck features front tracks and 4 all-terrain wheels, antenna, lights, onboard analysis station, plus a loading bay for the snow bike and space for other equipment.
- Also includes an ice wall/arch with translucent blocks and beacons, plus an ice cave with translucent blocks and room for the polar bear figure.
- Accessory elements include a radio, computer tablet, coring tool, camera, 2 sonar beacons and a pair of binoculars.
- Investigate the secrets of the tundra with the tracked scout truck.
- Call interesting locations in using the truck’s radio, before taking a closer look on the snow bike.
- Record and observe the polar bear with the biologist’s camera.
- Bring the Arctic Scout Truck to life with the 17101 LEGO® BOOST Creative Toolbox(sold separately). Combine the sets, download the free LEGO BOOST app and code the truck to control the forklift, examine samples with the color sensor, help the whale back into the water and much more using the intuitive programming blocks! Visit LEGO.com/BOOST for more information and device compatibility.
- Arctic Scout Truck measures over 3” (10cm) high, 7” (20cm) long and 3” (11cm) wide.
- Snow bike measures over 1” (3cm) high and 3” (8cm) long.
- Ice cave measures over 2” (6cm) high, 1” (3cm) wide and 4” (12cm) deep.
- Ice wall with arch and lights measures over 3” (9cm) high, 1” (4cm) wide and 3” (9cm) deep.