Nintendo Continuing Great Year with Splatoon Update
Nintendo has a hit on their hands, and they know it. And no, I’m not talking about the Nintendo Switch, but rather, Splatoon 2, the sequel to the fast selling and much played Splatoon from the Wii U days. Nintendo has done a lot wrong over the past 5 years – fixed almost entirely by the Nintendo Switch – but one thing they’ve done right, which every one else has failed, is continuing to support their titles well after launch, with free content. This week, Nintendo is rolling out brand new content for Splatoon 2 that will bring new weapons, items, and maps for players to explore.
On November 23rd, the first of two free updates will roll out, highlighted by a new map for Salmon Run. Salmon Run is one of the more interesting new features in Splatoon 2, and that mode keeps me going back again and again. With over 50 play throughs under my belt, however, it will be nice to add another map into the rotation. On top of a new Salmon Run map, players will also get new hairstyles, new gear, and a bunch of other really great features.
New battle maps are set to roll out on November 24th. Here is what new features are coming on November 23rd and 24th!
· Four New Battle Stages: While four new battle stages are coming to Splatoon 2, they won’t all be available immediately after downloading the update. Like with previous additions, the stages will roll out over the subsequent weeks, giving players new surprises as they play throughout the holiday season and beyond. The first new battle stage, MakoMart, will be available to play on Black Friday, Nov. 24, with Shellendorf Institute, Walleye Warehouse and Arowana Mall coming soon. The new MakoMart stage is a giant superstore-style stage, so what better time to play than on Black Friday! Shellendorf Institute is new to the series, while Walleye Warehouse and Arowana Mall are popular stages returning from the original Splatoon game.
· New Salmon Run Stage: Fan-favorite multiplayer mode* Salmon Run is getting a new stage. After downloading the update, Salmonid Smokeyard will be added to the stage rotation. In Salmonid Smokeyard, a wide gap on the beach divides two upper platforms, with fan lifts being the quickest way to traverse the two platforms. Teamwork is required to use the fan lifts effectively.
· New Gear: Approximately 140 pieces of gear are being added to Splatoon 2. These include shoes, headgear and clothes, like a motocross mask, and additional winter clothing (perfect for the cold weather!), as well as returning items from the original Splatoon game.
· New Battle Music: Two new bands have been gaining popularity in Inkopolis! The punk-flavored Bottom Feeders and classically trained avant-garde-style Ink Theory are contributing new songs to the already music-rich game.
· New Hairstyle: When customizing an Inkling, four new hairstyles will be available to choose from – two each for female and male characters.
· Higher Level Caps: Currently, players are maxed out at Level 50. After downloading the update, the new maximum level will be raised to 99. If players talk to Judd when they reach Level 99, they’ll have the option to reset their level display to Level ★1 so they can continue raising their level.
· New amiibo Functionality: Tapping a compatible amiibo figure after the update will let players take and share in-game photos in preset locations in Battle Stages, in addition to being able to take photos in Inkopolis Square. Players can also add fun filters to their images.
· Convenient Gear Swapping: Players that want to change gear between battles in Regular Battle, Ranked Battle and Splatfest Battle (Solo) won’t have to exit to the lobby anymore! After downloading the update, gear can be swapped out without leaving the match room, making it quicker to get back to splatting. For Regular Battle, this also means players can play the next battle with the same players.